Scottish Goatkeepers Federation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You Tube- my videos

3 posters

Go down

You Tube- my videos Empty You Tube- my videos

Post  ballingall Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 am

Hi,

We recently purchased a very little camcorder, not great quality, but nice for taking wee clips of the animals.

So here are a couple of clips I took last weekend when I had 2009 kids out in the field so I could muck out their pen.

ballingall

Back to top Go down

You Tube- my videos Empty Re: You Tube- my videos

Post  ballingall Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:28 am

And a clip taken today, just a slow pan round our goat shed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcL6Yzjcv1c

ballingall

Back to top Go down

Post  darylandgoats Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Really enjoyed the videos. Its nice to see other peoples goats and how they house their animals. I use similar rails to 'stable' my goats at night but they are in a renovated garage rather than a purpose built barn like yours. Does your goat house have a open side or is it four sided with doors?

Your pens look nice a clean given that its January, I have yet to do the post Christmas big muck out so they are on quite deep bedding at the moment but I am pretty meticulous about keeping it clean and dry and the shavings base seems to be keeping all the moisture in amazingly. I have no drains in the garage so I have to muck out very regularly in addition to daily removing all the poo and wet straw. Its a lot of work and I only have 5 goats but it makes it much nicer for the goats and for me, as I like to sit in the pens every now and then and 'chat' to the goats. I imagine your goats are a lot of work with so many. They all look really happy and healthy, especally like the Anglo Nubians! Am hoping to get my two goatlings mated in the Autumn and perhaps dry off my oldest Clover. She is nearly 6, is that too old to kid again? She has been milking since 2006 without fail and is in good health, she certainly has a lot of attitude.

Daryl

darylandgoats

Back to top Go down

Post  ballingall Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 pm

I would kid Clover again this year, if you left it again, then at age 7 or 8 she would be getting a bit too old to go back to taking the strain of pregnancy. But 6 is fine, and if you kid her next year, you could probably do it again in 2 years time after that. Some goats do milk on well for years and years, and they are great, especially if you are just looking for milk for the house.

Our goat shed has four walls, and doors, one stable type door, and two big ones at the front. I have got some info and pics about it that I will post as well at some point. The stable door is left open all day every day- unless the weather is really awful- if its windy and wet the rain blows in, so we shut it then. The big doors we don't open a lot, normally just to unload feed or hay, and in the summer if it's really hot to create a through bit of air. Its well ventilated because of the wooden sides, but our goats are used to it now.

When we first moved here we kept our goats in the garage too, we had a few less then, and we had a big wooden shed that is now our field shelter that we used for them as well. Garages make pretty good goat sheds, apart from the drainage thing!

We have so many that I tend to muck out most of the year round, although to be honest our pens will look worse in March/April, because once the females get really heavily pregnant, I don't like to disturb them too much by mucking out. We don't clean out on a daily basis though, we just deep litter, and muck out every 6-8 weeks or so.

Beth

ballingall

Back to top Go down

Post  ballingall Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:52 pm

More videos!

I have a video for February (I intend to do one each month, so we have a record of the whole year)

And also just one of the BA kids playing in the snow.

ballingall

Back to top Go down

Post  darylandgoats Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Beth,

Such a nice idea to make a record of your goats throughout the year. I love watching you mini movies......its nice to see coloured goats, I love my girls but with them all being white a bit of variety might be nice. Lol

Daryl

darylandgoats

Back to top Go down

Post  ballingall Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Well, its an idea I actually saw to do with your garden. They advised that if you took a minute long video once a month of your garden, at the end of the year you would have a 12 minute video showing your garden going through all the seasons, and it would also be a handy reminder of what flowers when, or what is planted where. And I stole that idea! Though I think my end of year one might be longer than 12 minutes! Looking forward to getting some months videos done outside soon.

Beth

ballingall

Back to top Go down

Post  Faithmead Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:34 pm

This is such a good idea to have a video diary. The one minute screen of the garden is an excellent idea....and its about time our Camcorder (if it still works) came out of the cupboard cheers

Got me thinking now....hmm....video diary the lambing, the kidding, the farrowing, the garden, ....... ermmm....well, maybe 'himself' can have that job after all lol!

Beth - loved the BAs in the snow bounce

Faithmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum