Scottish Goatkeepers Federation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POULTRY MATTERS

3 posters

Go down

POULTRY MATTERS Empty POULTRY MATTERS

Post  lisa sinclair Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Ok, I'm the first here.
Thought a tip on how to treat scaly legs in chickens might be useful.
Dip legs or paint on surgical spirit, once a week for three to four weeks. Repeat every few months to prevent re-infestation (of the mite that causes it).
Lisa

lisa sinclair

Back to top Go down

POULTRY MATTERS Empty Re: POULTRY MATTERS

Post  darylandgoats Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Hey Lisa,

A coating of soft vaseline after painting with surgical spirit also helps, I believe the surgical spirit irritates the mites and the vaseline suffocates them. We had Scaly Leg Mite in our rescue chickens at our previous house...it was a big undertaking to treat them as we had nearly 30. The vaseline was good because it didn't run off after a short time it stayed on the legs for a few days. Anther good treatment is Green Elder and Comfery Ointment...made as the name suggests from Elderflower and Comfrey Leaves in a base of Trex. Its a smelly job to make which results in jars of almost lime green ointment but is really good for infected cuts and grazes and treating scaly leg in chickens. Ill post the recipe up when I find it again, its somewhere in a magazine.

Daryl

darylandgoats

Back to top Go down

Post  ballingall Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:09 pm

What's the recipie for that Daryl, it sounds interesting.

Smile

Beth

ballingall

Back to top Go down

POULTRY MATTERS Empty Green Elder and Comfrey Ointment Recipe

Post  darylandgoats Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Beth and all,

Green Elder and Comfrey Ointment (also known as Oil of Swallows) is an excellent remedy for chillblains, cuts, grazes (especially infected ones) and bruising and sprains. The ointment should be made in the spring inbetween full leaf and flowering, which is around the time the swallows return hence the name.

Green Elder and Comfrey Ointment (Oil of Swallows) Recipe:

***Always apply a small amount of ointment initially to test for sensitivity***

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 a carrier bag of fresh Elderflower Leaves
    1/4 a carrier bag of fresh Comfrey Leaves
    2 Handfulls of Dried or Fresh Lavender Flowers (Optional)
    2 Blocks of Trex Vegetable Fat
    1 Small bottle of Glycerine

Equipment:
  • Large jam making pan or stew pan
    Wooden spoon
    Large bowl
    The lower half of one leg from a pair of tights
    Funnel or jug
    5-6 very clean jam jars

1. Gently heat and melt 2 blocks of Trex Vegetable Oil in a large saucepan. The oil needs to be hot but not so hot that smoke is coming off, the idea is not to deep fry the leaves.

2. Adding the fresh leaves in small batches allow the leaves to wilt down and stir into the melted oil before adding the next batch. The oil should turn increasingly dark green as you add all the leaves. Add the Elderflower leaves first then the Comfrey leaves. Lavender is a powerful antiseptic and can be added to this ointment if desired although Lavender Oil can cause sensitivity so its optional. If using Lavender add 2 handfulls of fresh or dried flowers to the oil. Once all the leaves have been added allow five minutes to ensure the plant oils have infused into the vegetable oil base. (Take your time, allow the plant oils to infuse into the vegetable oil base).

3. Once all the leaves have been added and the oil is dark green and infused with the plant oils turn off the heat. Stretch the lower half of one leg from a pair of tights over a large bowl ensuring its secured and then carefully spoon the oil and leaves mixture through the tight foot into the bowl. Allow the oil to drip from the leaves into the bowl for a moment.

4. Next allow the leaves to cool enough to touch and then holding the tights leg closed squeeze the leaves to extrude any remaining oil. BE CAREFULL THE LEAVES CAN BE VERY HOT!!!

5. Once all the oil has been squeezed out discard the tights leg filled with leaves. Allow the oil to cool slightly then stir in 1 bottle of Glycerine (1/2 a bottle per block of Trex).Ensure the glycerine is stirred in well as it tends to sink to the bottom. The Glycerine ensures the ointment stays soft even in very cold weather.

6. Using a funnel pour the oil into clean jam jars and tighten the lids. Label and store in a cool dark place.

Get in touch if anyone has any problems or questions. I have made this quite a few times now and its really good. It does smell like cabbage (even with the Lavender added) and its green but it works.

Daryl

darylandgoats

Back to top Go down

POULTRY MATTERS Empty Thanks!

Post  ballingall Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:21 am

That sounds great- and something useful to do with my comfrey (that I have way too much of- the goats get sick of it!) I'll be trying that once my comfrey is out. Thank you very much for sharing that.

Beth

ballingall

Back to top Go down

Post  darylandgoats Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Beth,

I didn't know you can feed goats comfrey. Now I have another use for it. I planted some rhizomes last spring and they have spread massively.

Cheers, hope the ointment making goes well.

Daryl

darylandgoats

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum